Sunday, November 7, 2010

You'reHere!




We had been waiting days for you do decide it was time to make your arrival. The midwife suggested scheduling an induction but I wanted to wait it out one more week before discussing that option even though I was just dying to see you! Daddy and I tried everything to encourage you to hurry along. He drug me all around the mall, Barnes and Noble, the neighborhood, anywhere that I could walk. We tried spicy food, Chinese food, and even Godfather's pizza at the suggestion of one of Daddy's co-workers. Just google natural ways to induce and we most likely tried it, but you weren't having any of it.
Thursday I started feeling sick at work. Nasuea and cramping. It wasn't fun, but it was exciting to think you might be coming. I left early, but the evening and night came and went and no you. Friday I awoke feeling the same and I called into work thinking I might go into labor and so need some rest. Friday night I have constant cramps so at 2 am we headed to the hospital to see what was up. After being monitored til 6 am we were sent home. I was so tired from staying up all night for nothing and we crawled into bed and passed out.
There wasn't much sleep for me to have however. At 8am I started getting woke up every 15 minutes with a contraction. These were the first contractions I had ever had that I couldn't sleep through, even during the preterm labor issues we were having earlier. I tried to sleep in the 15 minute breaks for a hour or so and then gave up and got ready for the day. By the time you daddy got up and ready for the day it was lunch time and I was still only have contractions every 15 minutes so we went out to lunch at Buffalo Wild Wings. At 1:00pm there I started having contractions every 5 minutes. It was so crowded there because everyone was watching the game and I was so afraid my water was going to break then and there and cause a huge scene. Little did I know that wasn't going to happen for quite some time. I left your daddy to get the check and pay and slowly made my way outside to the car where I paced and waited for your daddy to meet me.
I had a strong urge to be at home so that is where we went. Grandma came over and we walked up and down the street, stopping with each contraction. I was timing them trying to make sure they were close together. Once I got tired I came in and sat in the living room with daddy and waited. Daddy went and got me some Baskin Robbins to help. That evening my back started hurting constantly on top of the contractions. It was the start of dreaded back labor and I wasn't having it. I tried stretches which only made it worse. Daddy tried a heat pack and it helped so much, but there was no denying, it was time to go to the hospital.
Daddy was nervous because he didn't want to get his hopes up that you were coming just to be sent home again. He was so ready to meet you. We got to the hospital where we slowly walked the area around the birthing unit to make sure that contractions were good and hard before going in. Eventually, we had to sit in the waiting room for a bit as I couldn't walk much anymore. Then we called them and said we were here and went in.
They hooked me up to the monitors and we heard your lovely heart beat. They checked me and I was only at a 2-3 and 100% effaced. It quickly picked up though in intensity. I could no longer sit in the bed because it was so painful. I sat on the birthing ball with my head on the end of the bed and daddy and grandma beside me. Daddy was so helpful and calming. I don't think I could have even made it to the hospital though the contractions without him. You dad is such a nurturing person; we are lucky to have him.
After hours of labor though I couldn't handle it in bed, walking, standing, or on the ball so it was time to try the whirlpool. I had dreamed of this wonderful whirlpool for months and had high expectations. However, it did not help at all. In fact as soon as it turned on my contractions got a million times worse. Although I hadn't ate since lunch clear back at 1pm I was so nauseous I started throwing up while in the whirlpool which only made the contractions worse. The room spun and with each one I didn't think I could make it through. I told Matt he could shoot me in the arm and it would hurt so much less than the pain I was currently feeling. I needed something. He tried to work with me some more, but with each contraction getting worse I broke down and begged him to get me something to help. He got the nurse who said we could take something to take the edge of. She said it would make a 10 feel like a 6. I thought that would make things manageable so I consented.
Once I finally was able to make it back to the bed they put it in an IV. I felt sleepy from it for a moment and that was it. It didn't help at all. Then the nurse explained it just relaxed you so you wouldn't care as much. Stupid, I thought. I had meditation for that. It was not my relaxation that was the issue! I was so tired at this point and started going in and out of consciousness. I don't know how long that went on, I just remember thinking I was so exhausted that I wasn't going to be able to push at the end and they would end up doing a c-section. I was so afraid of this happening. I knew I needed to rest. I asked daddy for the epidural. Daddy tried to work with me I think but I was crying and in and out of it. It had been 10 hours of labor at this point on only 2 hours of sleep and no food.
I had to wait for them to be able to do the epidural because someone was having heart surgery at the time. When they finally got it in they said it would take 10-15 minutes to kick in, but it kicked in instantly. I think because my body is so unused to drugs of any kind. I couldn't feel the contractions at all. I had them turn up the heat beat monitor on you so I could hear you and be comforted that you were still doing alright in there. Finally, I was able to sleep some and rest for the pushing. By then lots of people where at the hospital waiting on you to come. Alysia and grandpa were in the room as well now. Laura had been in the room when I was at my worst, but I can't remember much of that. Cody and Bailea, Mike and Angie, and many more were in the waiting room for you. But, you were taking your time.
After several more hours of laboring I was at a nine and the nurses started watching me more closely. I stayed at a 9 for 2 hours. At this point my water had still not broke. The nurses started asking if when Kim, the midwife, go there if she could break my water even though it was against my birth plan. I felt at 9cm it was ok so I said yes. We didn't have to worry about it though because as the nurse checked me to see if I had made process it broke all over her! She was surprised for sure. Then, the midwife got there and checked and said it was time to push. Thankfully I could move my legs and feel down there, I just couldn't feel the contractions so I was able to push well. I push for a hour with daddy beside me, so excited. I started getting nervous to meet you and know everything about you was ok. Daddy looked so happy it made me tear up. Then, daddy saw the top of your head and started crying with joy. They let me feel your head and it was full of hair. I was so ready to hold you. I only had to push for an hour total and you were here!
I was so surprised because you came out pink and crying unlike all the births I watched to prep me for delivering in which the baby came out blue and still at first. They put you on my chest and let the umbilical cord stop pulsating before clamping and letting daddy cut the cord. I was busy drying you off and loving you. You bobbed around to breast feed but had a hard time latching on, something we had to work on together for days after your birth.
You were 7lbs 3oz and 20 1/2" long, born October 31, 2010 at 8:57am and you scored all 9s on your APGAR. After 19 hours of active labor we finally had our perfect baby girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment